Wednesday, May 25, 2005

All Grown Up and Moved to Monmouth County

On the NY Times real estate discussion forum, somebody went on a diatribe about how “over” NYC is and how “in” Monmouth County has become. I would generally subscribe to this view to, however, I also think that some of NYC’s appeal starts to wear thin as you get older. The NYC nightlife in the old days (the 90’s for me) seemed better because I could handle drinking till two in the morning and still make it to the office on time. That would be virtually impossible now. Space was not a priority then when looking at apartments because I barely owned anything.



[“muralp - 4:51 AM ET May 25, 2005 (#2158 of 2163)

The article in Sunday's paper where some guy whined about his commute and the food in NJ was so classic Times pretentiousness. I lived in Manhattan in the East Village for 20 years...what was once a fun, exciting neighborhood, with a diverse population of Puerto Ricans, blacks, gays, Ukraines turned into a lily-white enclave of yuppie boredom, full of overpriced, pretentious, restaurants, haughty little boutiques and awful high rise dorms thanks to NYU...the worst was the turning of the Palladium, a venerable NY institution, into a dorm...NY is so over it isn't funny. It has become as homogenized and dull as any Mid-western City...nightlife is the worst, the streets are filthy again, the subway service sucks...I could go on. I moved to NJ Shore, and I couldn't be happier. Sure, the commute's longer, but I relish going home to trees, flowers, seagulls, lapping waves, sailboats, lawns, and space that I would be paying at least 4X as much for in Manhattan. I will NEVER go back to living in a shoebox again, so I guess I will never be in Manhattan again. The sacrifice in quality of life is not worth it. Bloomberg and Giuliani have destroyed the middle class of NYC. It is no longer an affordable City. Don't tell me how great all the entertainment is...at what price? Outlandish prices for so-so fare...sorry, doesn't cut it. When prices were reasonable, going out in this town rocked...the nightclubs were awesome, the bars amazing...none of that exists now. I don't miss it. I work in town, that's enough. Glad to see the City in rear view mirror any time.”]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home