Thursday, July 28, 2005

How Do I Get My Picture on The Two River Times Back Page?

Danny of Danny's Steak House writes a regular column for the Atlantic Herald. In general, the writing is usually good, or informative, or at the very least benign. However, I sort of cringed when I read the paragraph below. I don't think that Danny, or the woman that he referenced are necessarily wrong when Monmouth County is referred to as a "Club." When I think of the word "club" though, it reminds me of exclusion or stratification. What is interesting though, in my opinion, is that in the Monmouth County hierarchy of well-to-do-citizens, the stratification is not as pronounced here as it is in NYC, however, the striving is more aggressive and not subtle enough not to be occasionally laughed at.

Snip...

"One women customer of mine, who has lived here for years, commented that with her job in New York and her home in Little Silver she feels she is a member of the "Club." I loved her analogy as to how she viewed living here; it is one big club that we all are a part of. With all the facets that make up the fabric of living here I have always felt a sense of community about the area but actually a step above that. Her coining the phrase the "Club" hit the nail on the head for me. That was the feeling I have always had about living here, that we are all a part of something bigger then just living in a town."


Continue...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mean, I like Danny, and I eat in his restaraunt moderately often, but that is such the typical goober attitude of all these people who have moved here from Brooklyn or Staten Island and don't quite want to admit to themselves that they live in New Jersey. You see the same attitude in Pravda's, er, sorry, The New York Times', condescending coverage of the NJ suburbs.

Earth to 'Club' Wannabees: You Live In A Very Nice Area In New Jersey.

Deal with it.

Sunday, July 31, 2005 10:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL are your Bloggers for real...Well if that's "the club"....leave me out

Monday, July 31, 2006 2:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is that the hair piece for men club?

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 11:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home