Thursday, September 29, 2005

I'm Waiting for the Asbury Park Press to Call Me

This blog has existed from about mid-April, and since April I have read and posted links to tons of articles about the real estate bubble. The major papers, including the NY Times, The Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post have done a great job of keeping the public informed about the bubbles in their local markets and on a national scale. In addition to the major papers, there have been a lot of good articles from small local papers that comment on and describe the real estate market in their own little corner of the country.

Unfortunately though, I haven't seen any meaningful articles about local real estate conditions at the Jersey Shore in the Asbury Park Press. Moreover, judging from the article below, bubble bloggers seem to be getting attention from their local media. Maybe some one at the Asbury Park Press could look into the state of the housing market at the Shore before the bubble bursts. (If anyone knows of any APP articles that discuss the Shore real estate bubble, I would like to see them.)


"For Rich Toscano, the most surreal moment in his tenure as housing-bubble blogger came when a Money magazine reporter called to discuss the San Diego market.

Rich Toscano tracks the housing market on his Web site, Professor Piggington's Econo-Almanac for the Landed Poor. He thinks San Diego home prices are poised to fall.
"He said, 'I just got off the phone with (Nobel Prize-winning economist) Milton Friedman. He wasn't too helpful. Now I'm calling you,' " Toscano recalled.

Toscano, a renter in University Heights, wasn't quoted in the Money article. Neither was Friedman. But the fact that he was interviewed highlights how blogs – short for Web logs – have been gaining a voice in the housing-bubble debate."

More...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 6:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FC Troll here again. This is a bit off-topic but maybe you'd appreciate it.

I have distinct memories from the last downturn (late 80's). In fact, there was this US News&WR cover story "The Great Housing Bust" that I remember reading at the gym.

Anyway, I opened to the story and the big photo they used for the top half of the headline page featured this unhappy looking couple and two kids standing in front of a house which they couldn't sell. The looked familiar.

Reading the article, I confirmed my hunch: the house depicted was on Grant Place, Little Silver. (And less than a half mile from where I grew up.)

As a renter, I would just love those days to return.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:19:00 PM  
Blogger Little_Silvered said...

I had to look to see where Grant Place is in LS. Coincidently, the last time I was on Grant Place in LS was the late 80s when I used to walk to football practice via Grant Place.

Monday, October 03, 2005 6:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home