Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Parsing MLS Data

I had heard that the new construction along Ocean Avenue in Long Branch, which is called The Bluffs and Grand Resort, was bought up by a lot of "investors." Since most of these new condos and townhouses were completed in 2004 and 2005 its hard not to imagine that many buyers of these places would be looking to make a quick buck and try to sell ASAP. I don't know what the motivations of the buyers of these places were, or are, however, it looks to me that many more people are trying to sell than would be expected.

In order to figure out what a normal sales rate is on a per town basis, I looked up the number of houses that are for sale on the MLS for Little Silver (64 houses for sale), Rumson (115) and Fair Haven (66). I also looked at the 2000 census figures to see how many houses were in each town and came up with 2288 for Little Silver, 2610 for Rumson and 2037 for Fair Haven. Given this data, 2.8% of the houses in Little Silver are for sale, 4.4% for Rumson, and 3.2% for Fair Haven.

According to the Grand Resorts and Bluffs website, there are 179 and 104 units in each development, respectively. I counted all the units listed for sale in the MLS for Grand Resorts and came up with 20 and for the Bluffs I counted 12. The percent of units for sale out of all units was 11.2% for the Grand Resorts and 11.5% for the Bluffs. I believe that the higher percentage of units for sale at the Resorts and Bluffs compared to the other towns is indicative of greater investor activity compared to other places. This is not necessarily bad. However, as many others have pointed out, investors might be inclined to sell a property faster than someone who buys a place to actually live in because the investor is only concerned with maximizing profits or minimizing losses.

6 Comments:

Blogger Little_Silvered said...

Great information, thanks. It doesn't look like much is moving. It looks like inventories are going to be through the roof this spring.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 10:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 8:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

Monday, April 17, 2006 5:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been looking for compatible or related real estate sites, and I guess your site doesn't quite fit. Still, I did enjoy the visit. Stop by my site if you can.

Saturday, June 03, 2006 5:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for useful articles about love, marriage, romance etc. and somehow I found your blog and I must say it�s really nice. I also visited Top Personals and I think is very interesting for singles looking for us military single. Take a look at http://top-personals.net. Adult Singles

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 1:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my atlanta information on bankruptcy site.
Have a great day!

Saturday, July 15, 2006 7:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home