Thursday, September 01, 2005

NJ Has the Highest Median Income in the US

New Jersey also seems to have the highest expenses in United States. I feel like New Jersey is the "nickel and dime" state. It seems like I'm always paying some kind of state surcharge on my already expensive car insurance, or I'm paying for parking in Red Bank so that I can have dinner at a nice restuarant that probably already pays a ton of property taxes to the town. I also got hit for $7,000 this year in real estate transfer fees when I sold some property. That also seemed pretty excessive.


"New Jersey residents are digging ever deeper into their paychecks to cover the cost of housing.

Almost four in 10 New Jersey mortgage holders last year spent at least 30 percent of their income on housing, according to census data released Tuesday. That's up from roughly three in 10 in 2000.

While New Jersey's median income is the highest in the nation, rising from roughly $54,300 in 2000 to $61,359 last year, housing prices have risen much faster. The median price of a one- to four-family home (condos included) in New Jersey rose from $165,000 in 2000 to $259,900 in the first half of 2004."

Full article

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home