Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Jersey Shore Service S*cks

This article describes very well what I was talking about a few weeks ago when I wrote Shore restaurants have no business charging Manhattan prices. In short, the service at the Shore is poor. My original complaint about service at the Shore was May 23 (for some reason I can't link to it - but it's still in the May archives.)


[From the Philly Inquirer

Posted on Tue, Jun. 14, 2005

Monica Yant Kinney | Not all at Shore go for politeness

By Monica Yant Kinney

Inquirer Columnist

The guy sitting in front of me exuded all sorts of "poor-service musts" found in my pink pamphlet.

Slouching with his arms crossed on his chest, he had the "act put-out" look down pat.

He made no eye contact, hiding behind a pair of dark shades.

His hygiene screamed "hungover frat boy forced to get out of bed hours before he was ready."

It didn't bother me much, but I could see how tourists might prefer a more personable, less scruffy server.

Could Mr. $1 Domestic Draft see it?

And if he's working down the Shore only to make money and meet girls, should he even care?

Doug Lipp thinks so, but he's the ex-Disney honcho hired to spend this week teaching beach workers that manners matter, especially as temperatures and tempers rise.]

More...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was recently at the new McCloones in Long Branch and can totally agree about the lack of good service at high-end restaurants in NJ. We ordered an expensive bottle of red wine and the kid brought a bucket of ice for it (major faux pas)and then he didn't know how to open it (we did it for him). Granted he is a 22 year old kid just taking on a summer job but come on! The prices were as high- if not higher than NYC prices and the service was likened to that of a snackbar. The whole place seemed a bit chaotic as we watched other tables waitstaff scurry around like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. Maybe things will improve in time but they should really consider giving those kids more training if they want to be categorized as a highend establishment.

Thursday, June 16, 2005 1:01:00 PM  
Blogger Little_Silvered said...

Don’t get me started with McCloones. I haven’t been to the new one yet in LB, but I was at the original in Sea Bright last summer and was pretty disappointed by the time I left. We sat out on the deck over looking the Navesink which was fine, but the food, I thought lacked flavor. I had tuna and it was not fresh at all. The service at that time was at least adequate. However, I don’t like paying a dinner bill of $75 for two if the food is not fresh, and the service, at best, is only adequate.

There are plenty of restaurants at the beach that have good food. However, as I have said before, shore restaurants shouldn’t charge Manhattan prices just because the food is good, the service has to be good too in order to justify the high price.

Thursday, June 16, 2005 6:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or, you know, the bennies could stay the hell home, and everyone would be happy.

Saturday, June 18, 2005 12:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If happiness to you means out of business, than yes. Everyone in the deep south of Jersey would be happy.

Friday, May 05, 2006 5:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home